A partial archive of discourse.wicg.io as of Saturday February 24, 2024.

WCAG 2.0 3.3.3 - email address suggestions?

martinbethann
2016-06-01

If a user does not fill out the email address by leaving off the @ or domain - and we do not provide an example of a correct email address on submit (example@example.com) does this fail the success criterion for WCAG 2.0 3.3.3 regarding error suggestions?

I’ve looked at a number of major sites and leading web sites and I only see validation errors that pertain to the lack of correct email address. It looks like a lot of sites use placeholders to instruct the user on formatting, however, once submitted the user has no clear direction on proper format.

martinbethann
2016-06-01

Is there perhaps a better place to discuss accessibility requirements and feedback? I’m not sure this is the right forum for that.

LJWatson
2016-06-01

It would fail 3.3.3, yes. Not indicating that a particular format was expected in the first place would also likely fail 2.4.6.

BTW. You may find you get more responses on accessibility related questions if you send them to the WAI IG email list. The WICG is mostly a place to discuss new ideas and features for things like HTML.

martinbethann
2016-06-01

Perfect, thank you!