A partial archive of discourse.wicg.io as of Saturday February 24, 2024.

Vector Tiling on SVGMap

satakagi
2018-11-06

I posted an issue https://github.com/w3c/web-roadmaps/issues/322

I am implementing heterogeneous vector tiling method in SVGMap which is maybe not yet known in geo community. Though, it already has a practical use for more than five years, and I think that method is effective.

Therefore I think that it is meaningful for you to recognize it for the advancement of web and geo technology and standards.

The method is explained in the slides below.

Of course I implemented it as open source.

satakagi
2020-09-18

Hello folks.

I wrote short papers for the Maps for the Web workshop. One of them is an analysis and proposals on tiling architecture and standards. The link to the paper is mentioned in my position statement, but this is a direct link.

I would expect the workshop to be attended by technicians with an interest and knowledge of map tiling. And, I would be very happy if we could then have an in-depth discussion on this topic.

Regards,

Satoru

PeterR
2020-09-23

Both of these papers are amazing and OGC folks and Web mappers should dive into them, in this order: SVGMap, then Quad Tree Vector Tiling. The strong encapsulation of layer semantics into SVG/HTML/JS/CSS bundles makes this a natural partner for the <layer src="url"> proposal of MapML.

Regarding Quadtree Vector Tiling, it seems to make a lot of sense that tiling should take advantage of the vector nature of the data source, and not be bound by less efficient regular grids; the logic of the quadtree tiles being encapsulated in the SVGMap payloads is an elegant architecture, based on existing standards.

satakagi
2020-09-23

Thank you very much for the introduction to the paper outlines.

Here are links to the two papers.

AmeliaBR
2020-09-28

The video of Peter introducing Takagi-san’s papers is now up.

One relevant comment came in the live chat:

• Iván Sánchez Ortega @IvanSanchez: @satakagi I think there’s a lot of overlap between your tiling proposal and Cesium 3d Tiles (https://cesium.com/blog/2015/08/10/introducing-3d-tiles/) - have you look at that?

• Satoru Takagi @satakagi: Yes, I have only skimmed through it yet, but I see it as a rather close design.

satakagi
2020-09-30

I have put the following ISSUE in place to work with OGC.