This proposal aims to provide a solution that will enable proprietary grouping of users into cohorts based on their browsing behavior in a way that addresses both marketer needs as well as the privacy and security concerns of sharing data with non-permissioned recipients.
A few key points:
- Website owners opt-in to cohort participation with a Cohort Provider
- A Cohort Provider provides a classification algorithm to the browser
- The browser executes the classification algorithm in a private enclave
- classification algorithm provides browser with a cohort id
- browser ensures the provided cohort represents a minimum number of users
- browser exposes cohort ID to the page
Full details can be found on github.
If there is interest, I’d like to further flush out and then hopefully prototype this solution to see if it could provide a more private and useful alternative to FLoC.