Proposal !default keyword for setting author-controlled property as complement to unset or revert

I understand that we already have a CSS value called unset where we can revert back to a user-agent default style.

Specifications state:

This keyword effectively erases all declared values occurring earlier in the cascade

However, what if we wanted only a partial erasure of these styles? i.e. an author-controlled default style that unset could return?

I would propose that there should be a keyword set inline with the CSS property, similar to !important

a {
  text-decoration: dotted underline !default;
}

nav a{
   text-decoration: none;
}

nav a:hover {
text-decoration: unset; // renders "dotted underline" without having to repeat the style
   }

This is especially useful in cases like display where there is no good “opposite” of none:

.someModal {
  display: flex !default;
}

.someModal.ui-collapsed {
display: none; 
   }

.someModal.ui-collapsed.ui-peak {
 display: unset; // reverted to flex
   }

alternatively, if the behavior of unset can’t be changed, then I would suggest that this be a complement to revert so that revert knows exactly which property to choose from the cascade.

The unset value does not revert back to the user agent style.

This was proposed in:

1 Like

I misunderstood a component of the specification:

This keyword effectively erases all declared values occurring earlier in the cascade.

I took that to mean it went all the way back to original user-agent styles, not to a previously inherited style.

I still often find myself in a situation where I’d prefer to revert to a previous style in the cascade; having a !default I think would make it very explicit to an author that “this is where your unset will point to”.

Don’t custom properties solve this use case?

I don’t believe so, but could you provide a description of how you think they could?

My interest is more in setting an “opposite” of display:block or being able to use unset to target a specific property to unset to. So I’m struggling with how I could do this with CSS properties.