JS API to trigger the platform native emoji picker

There was a previous discussion here: Invoke emoji input but it focused on changing the input elements.

What I’m thinking of is, have a simple API call that would open the native emoji picker, in response to a click event.

Chrome already exposes a way of opening the emoji picker by having an emoji option in the context menu on inputs. https://9to5google.com/2018/04/05/google-chrome-emoji-shortcut-mac-windows/

With how complicated the emoji/unicode has gotten, especially in last couple of years, it seems like a great idea to delegate this job to the operating system, rather than having to implement it in javascript yourself, which requires a big amount of data with the emoji data/information.

I would suggest to add a simple emoji attribute on input and textarea instead of providing a complex API.

For example:

<input type="text" required emoji></input>

When the attribute is present, then there is a small icon to select emoji… like Emojionearea.

With an attribute I’m worried it will hard to style whatever button the browser ends up adding. And it will be even harder to move outside the input if needed (for example the smiley/emoji button on discourse here).