A partial archive of discourse.wicg.io as of Saturday February 24, 2024.

WAI-ARIA role for a “list of interactive elements”

daporro
2015-12-04

One thing I run into time and time again is a list of things that are interactive. WAI-ARIA does have a role=“list”, however, ,it is defined as a “list of static elements”. Most notably, this means screen readers do not enter forms/interactive mode when encountered. The examples I"m thinking of don’t fall into any other category- they are not toolbars or menus, etc…and I would like to avoid role=“application” (since that’s not what it is either really).

Examples:

1. A inbox list (a list of e-mail messages)
  2. A list of attachments in an email (or any list of links you would like to navigate via arrow keys rather than tab, but don’t fall into the category of a toolbar or menubar or foldertree)
  3. A list of messages in a thread (a la gmail)

I know there are more, but that is all I can think of offhand. It’s the #1 issue I have when working with wai-aria and email clients…

LJWatson
2015-12-09

@daporro

The listitems are the static children of the list. The listitems themselves can contain interactive objects, just like an HTML listitem can.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/roles#list

That said, for some of the use cases you describe (like the list of attachments) where you might want to select multiple items, the listbox role might be a better option.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/roles#listbox

daporro
2015-12-09

Then are you saying screenreaders should enter “forms” mode when encountering listitems?

LJWatson
2015-12-09

“Then are you saying screenreaders should enter “forms” mode when encountering listitems?”

No. A listitem is static, but it may contain an interactive object.

Worth noting that just because an element is interactive, it does not mean that a screen reader should switch into forms or application mode. There is no expectation that a screen reader would do this when encountering the <details element for example.

daporro
2015-12-11

I guess that’s why I’m saying there seems to be a ‘list of interactive objects’ role missing-- for a list of ‘things’ you would like to use the arrow key to navigate among-- vs using tab or making the user manually enter ‘forms’ mode

LJWatson
2015-12-11

Can you provide the code for a simple use case?

Michiel
2015-12-18

Am I correct in saying that this seems to fit role=“feed”?