A partial archive of discourse.wicg.io as of Saturday February 24, 2024.

Proposal: ::loading and ::loaded state

Ferdy_Christant
2020-01-13

Today I used the following snippet to avoid alt text flashes in Firefox when an image is not yet loaded:

img:-moz-loading {
  visibility: hidden;
}

I know it’s non-standard, but it had me thinking about a wider application of this.

::loading Allow CSS access to this state to style loading in progress. For example, show a spinner, particular background color, etc.

::loaded Allow CSS access to this state to smoothly render an image, for example a fade-in. The way images currently render in a browser is sometimes brutal: flashy pixel dumps, blocks of lines rendering, it’s not as polished as typically experienced in a native app.

The above use cases currently require JS. Which takes time to download, parse and execute. Time in which the image may actually already be there.

Wouldn’t it be useful to have this capability in CSS?

Malvoz
2020-01-14