A partial archive of discourse.wicg.io as of Saturday February 24, 2024.

Media Controls API

marcosc
2014-12-19

(Originally proposed on Mozilla’s Dev Platform list by Andrea Marchesini and Ehsan Akhgari - moving here to begin formal standardization discussions.)

Use cases

• I have a media player app, and I want to use the media keys on my keyboard on desktop to control it.
  • I have a media player app and I want to use the headset controls on my headphones to control it.
  • I have a media player app and I want to use the mobile soft keys (e.g. as done on iOS and Android lock screens) to control it.

Possible future use cases

• I have registered a media player app and I want it to start up when I press the play key. (We could possibly dispatch an event to the SW, etc., out of scope for now)

Relevant sources

Platform specific implementation notes

Windows

It seems like Windows will dispatch a WM_APPCOMMAND message when a media key is pressed. The application has an opportunity to handle the message and return TRUE, or pass it along to DefWindowProc to allow the message to be delivered to another application.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646275(v=vs.85).aspx

Mac OS X

You need to write specific code to relinquish the event interceptor when your application goes to the background. http://overooped.com/post/2593597587/mediakeys explains the reason. This is how to do it: https://github.com/nevyn/SPMediaKeyTap. This library is used by apps such as VLC.

iOS

There is a way to capture the ipod music controls on the lockscreen: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3196330/how-to-enable-ipod-controls-in-the-background-to-control-non-ipod-music-in-ios-4 But it seems like we need to know in advance whether we need to capture these keys, which maps well with what we are thinking of (navigator.requestMediaKeys).

The same API seems to give you access to the media keys on the headphones too. This is documented here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/EventHandling/Conceptual/EventHandlingiPhoneOS/Remote-ControlEvents/Remote-ControlEvents.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009541-CH7-SW3

It seems like your app can claim to be the first responder to the event, and if the event is not handled by your app, iOS will send it to the next one, and so on.

Android

https://developer.android.com/training/managing-audio/volume-playback.html

The app has to register a BroadcastReceiver in its manifest that listens for the ACTION_MEDIA_BUTTON action broadcast. When the action is received it contains EXTRA_KEY_EVENT informations such as KeyEvent.KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY, KeyEvent.KEYCODE_MEDIA_PAUSE, and others.

The receiver has to be registered and unregistered.

Linux

Xorg has custom X codes for media buttons such as XF86AudioMute, XF86AudioNext, XF86AudioPause, XF86AudioPlay etc. They are emitted as normal events.

Rough sketch of a proposal

NOTE: We are aware that MediaController clashes with an existing HTML interface - we plan to rename it something else!

partial interface navigator {
  Promise <MediaController> requestMediaController();
};
enum MediaKeyEventType {
  "play", "pause", "playpause", "next", "previous",
  // possibly other codes
};
dictionary MediaKeyEventInit: EventInit {
  MediaKeyEventType detail = "play";
};
[Constructor(DOMString type, optional MediaKeyEventInit init)]
interface MediaKeyEvent: Event {
  readonly attribute MediaKeyEventType detail;
};
interface MediaController: EventTarget {
  attribute EventHandler onmediakey;
  // Do we need a revoke method?
  // void revoke();
  // This attribute is used to see if the play/pause event has been received correct.
  attribute boolean mediaActive;
  // An image to show when the device is locked.
  attribute(DOMString or URL or Blob or HTMLImageElement or HTMLCanvasElement or HTMLVideoElement) mediaImage;
  // Extra info to show.
  attribute DOMString mediaTitle;
  attribute DOMString mediaDuration;
  // other attributes.
};

Usage

navigator.requestMediaController().then(function(controller) {
   controller.audioActive = true;
   controller.mediaTitle =
     "Maurice Ravel - Piano Concerto for the left hand"
   controller.onmediakey = function(e) {
     switch (e.detail) {
       case "play":
         // ...
         break;
       case "pause":
         // ...
         break;
     }
   };
 }).catch(function() {
   alert("Access to media keys not granted");
 });

Notes

We intentionally do not use the DOM3 media KeyboardEvent keys, since on some OSes such as Android and iOS it would not be possible to map these events to a keydown/keyup event in a sensible way.

Technically we could get rid of MediaController, and dispatch the event on Window/Navigator/etc. ehsan has no strong preferences, and baku prefers to keep things this way. ehsan likes the fact that this model plays nice with the promise returned from requestMediaKeys.

The asynchronous requestMediaKeys() function provides a chance for the UA to show a UI asking the user to confirm if they choose to do so, etc.

In the future we may be able to extend MediaController to allow the application to provide some information about the currently playing track, such as the title, the picture, etc. That will enable us to build soft media controls on the lockscreen for example similar to the way that iOS and Android do.

We should also add the ability for the webapp to use the MediaController to send information to the platform about song-name/album-name/artist-name/album-art/timeposition.

We also need the webapp send information about if it’s currently playing or not, so that the platform knows if it should display a “play” or a “pause” button on a software keyboard or a widget. This can also be useful to enable the platform to display playing-status next to song name etc. This might also enable us to dispatch the “play” or “pause” event rather than the “playpause” event.

Open questions

The MediaKey* terminology is closed to what is used in the EME spec. ehsan thinks this is fine because it is not likely for most apps to want to use EME, so there are no big chances for confusion.

Is it OK to diverge from the DOM KeyboardEvent codes for this?

The policy choice as to what to do when two web apps request access to this API is left to the UA, and the UA has the freedom to adopt their own policies. Is that OK? (ehsan thinks yes.)

As far as the ergonomics of using the API is concerned, should we return the same MediaController object from requestMediaKeys() no matter how many times the author calls it?

Given the possibility of future extensions to add more things to MediaController as discussed above, should we pick a better name for it?

mounir
2014-12-19

I’m glad to see you driving this discussion to a public forum. I do not have much time to tackle the details of the API for the moment but I hope to get more time for this after the holidays.

I’m not a big fan of navigator.requestMediaController() and the fact that the MediaController object seems fairly static afterwards (except for the mediakey event). What would happen if I hang on to my controller and read mediaActive, mediaTitle or mediaDuration. I wonder if we should instead have a MediaDescriptor dictionary that would take title and duration. It could even be a class, in which case we could have events like finished that would allow the owner of the MediaDescriptor to play the next item from the play list.

What would you think of an API that looks like:

dictionary MediaDescriptor {
  DOMString title;
  DOMString duration; // why a DOMString btw?
};

interface MediaController : EventTarget {
  static Promise<boolean> setActiveMedia(MediaDescriptor);
  // In some environment, like Firefox OS system applications you could even expose getActiveMedia().
  static attribute EventHandler onmediakey;
};

This said, I think we should have media focus in scope for this work. The API behvaiour might be very different with media focus. For example, the UA might not send the events on a web app that doesn’t have media focus.

tabatkins
2014-12-19

This said, I think we should have media focus in scope for this work.

What’s “media focus”?

marcosc
2014-12-22

I guess “media focus” is the application or media that currently has focus for the purpose of controlling media playback (independent of window focus)… for example, I have iTunes and Spotify running simultaneously while writing this response. Spotify has “media focus” because (I assume) it is the last application I brought into focus (or the last app to claim the media focus, because it was on some screen that could play media). So, when I hit “play/pause” on my keyboard Spotify responds accordingly.

If I close Spotify, then iTunes gets media focus automatically.

Then, if I then open Spotify, it reclaims the media focus.

Simply bringing an application to the foreground can cause an application to get media focus.

ehsan
2014-12-23

Mounir, how is this proposal supposed to work? For example, you’d be able to do MediaController.onmediakey = function(){ … } but you won’t be able to use addEventListener() to register the event (since it seems like you can’t create a MediaController)? Or is that not what you intended?

richt
2015-01-05

Interesting idea and thanks for sharing all the related links.

I got to thinking whether we could implement this as a way to ‘focus’ media elements sequentially to determine which media element is currently using the media controls.

Media Controls API

This proposal introduces the concept of queuing up media elements to use media controls and consists of just two additional methods directly available on the HTMLMediaElement interface.

partial interface HTMLMediaElement {
  void enqueue();
  void dequeue();

readonly attribute boolean queued; // whether this element is current enqueued in the UA playlist
}

Where:

• enqueue() - adds this media element to the list of elements waiting to use the media controls.
  • dequeue() - removes this media element from the list of elements waiting to use the media controls.

Calling videoElement.enqueue() adds this object to a UA-controlled ‘playlist’. Media controls are then only active on the currently ‘focused’ enqueued media element in the UA’s playlist (i.e. the topmost enqueued media element at any given time).

The topmost media element in the playlist then comes under the control of any available media controls. Standard HTMLMediaElement events are fired toward the media element when it is played, paused, skipped or stopped as normal.

Applying media controls directly to media elements removes the need to wire up mediakey events to the media element being controlled (as per the OP proposal above). Media controls apply directly only to the topmost media element on the UA playlist. Users can then skip forward or back through the playlist to focus and play back different media elements sequentially.

Using such a queueing approach seems to solve a number of problems:

• The problem of which tab or media element currently owns the hardware/software-based media controls is removed.
  • It avoids two or more media elements trying to take control of the media controls at the same time.
  • It allows web sites such as Spotify and YouTube to create playlists by enqueueing two or more media elements at the same time or enqueuing new media elements once the first enqueued media element is finished.
  • A queue provides a logical way to enable skipping forward and back between media elements originating from different web pages.

In addition we may also want to add more media metadata attributes directly to the HTMLMediaElement interface as follows (inspired from the OP proposal above):

partial interface HTMLMediaElement {
  attribute(DOMString or URL or Blob or HTMLImageElement or HTMLCanvasElement) mediaImage;
  attribute DOMString mediaTitle;
}

Different web pages running in different tabs/windows can enqueue media elements with this approach. When you navigate away from a web page (e.g. close that tab or transition pages) then all media elements that were enqueued from that context are removed from the UA’s playlist and the playlist continues at the next available enqueued playlist media item (if any) registered from other tabs/pages.

Example API Usage

var videoEl = document.getElementById("video#item1");

if (videoEl.enqueue !== undefined) {
    videoEl.mediaTitle = "Maurice Ravel - Piano Concerto for the left hand";

// Add this item to the UA playlist.
    videoEl.enqueue();
} else {
    // UA playlists not supported. Play on load instead.
    videoEl.play();
}

// Register standard HTMLMediaElement event listeners as normal

videoEl.addEventListener('playing', function(event) { 
    console.log('Video playback started');
}, false);

videoEl.addEventListener('ended', function(event) { 
    console.log('Video playback ended');

// Optionally, enqueue the next media element...
}, false);

Is it worth exploring this idea further or are there specific reasons we want to decouple media controls from media elements as per the other proposals?

domenic
2015-01-05

I am worried about this proposal being too complicated to get consensus/implementations. I am wondering if we could at least agree on a minimal subset of it first. The portion I am most concerned about is relaying the play/pause/next/previous/stop buttons to a currently-focused window.

It seems to me this could be done simply by adding new key-codes. (I guess this is already done by DOM 3 Events, but the status of that spec is … unclear.)

This would take care of some of the most glaring omissions from the current platform. For example, at my NYE party last week we were playing music on the TV via a media center PC. When using iTunes, we could use the remote control’s play/pause button successfully. But when we switched over to YouTube in Chrome, even though the tab was active and full-screened, the remote control’s buttons no longer worked, and I had to go get the wireless keyboard and use the spacebar.

Could we just get consensus to fire appropriate keydown/keyup/keypress events with appropriate codes, first? That won’t work for when the tab doesn’t have focus, and then you need something more complicated like your original post. But it would still help a lot.

mounir
2015-01-06

I believe addEventListener comes with the EventTarget interface so the static MediaController instance should have addEventListener or am I missing something?

mounir
2015-01-06

@richt I think you are missing one feature: if I’m playing music from Music App and then want to play a podcast from Podcast App, I want the music to stop and the podcast to start. Your solution would allow me to add the podcast after the Music App playlist, right?

@domenic It would indeed be a good incremental improvement to have those keys supported by UAs and websites. Actually, I wonder if a UA support those keys. Though, I try to look at things mostly with a mobile point of view and supporting those keys wouldn’t help much in that context and mobile is in a way worse state with regards to media applications on the web.

ehsan
2015-01-06

There is no static MediaController instance. You will get a normal instance of the object when the promise returned by Navigator.requestMediaController() is resolved, and all of the EventTarget machinery works like normal on that object.

ehsan
2015-01-06

@domenic that is indeed the number 1 use case that we are interested in as well. In addition to remote controls, think of using the play/pause keys on headsets, or an OS wide music control UI such as the one on the Android lock screen.

However, using the key events in the DOM3 Events spec is problematic. Please see the OS study section above, but to give you a summary, different OSes put restrictions on which applications can receive these keys, and you sometimes also need to be able to tell the OS where you handled the event in some way or whether it should be passed to the next application. Because of that, you kind of need an explicit way to tell the UA “hey, I’m interested in receiving these events”. We can’t even just look at whether there is an event handler for keydown and friends is registered because obviously such event handlers can deal with other keypresses.

This is why I originally suggested Navigator.requestMediaController(). As a bonus, we can make the MediaController object do more interesting things in addition to handling the key events. It’s fine by me if we only start by supporting the key events on it though. This proposal is basically the minimum we’d need for Firefox OS to support system-wide media player web apps, which is why it has the additional bits on top of it.

I hope this helps explain the thinking on why we did not choose to use the DOM3 key events for this purpose.

ehsan
2015-01-06

@richt Thanks for the thoughtful comment! I actually thought about a possible direction such as this, but I ended up deciding against it. The biggest difficulty with tying things too much to HTMLMediaElement is that it would exclude use cases that do not (directly) use a media element for playing audio. For example, a web based music player can use Web Audio in order to implement a bunch of very common audio effect such as gapless playback, cross fading, normalization, etc. Also, except for the simplest cases, it may not be obvious for the UA to know how to play the element. Think of YouTube for example that has a video element with custom video controls, etc. The website needs to cooperate with the UA if we’re going to play the next video in the playlist based on an event that is invisible to the page. These are the reasons why I decided to not go ahead with something based on HTMLMediaElement. What do you think?

richt
2015-01-07

Good point. Yes, the media would simply be appended to the playlist in the normal case. If that enqueued media is played by the user or page then the playlist should skip to that item in the playlist and would continue onward from there. User’s can skip forward and back from this point too (to e.g. recover the music playback). Closing the music app would also advance the playlist to the podcast media. This behavior would be specified in a non-strawman proposal.

richt
2015-01-07

It’s a good point about the potential of using the Web Audio API for playback. Playlist hooks could be provided independently from the HTMLMediaElement and could accept both that interface and AudioContext objects.

Seperating this out to a separate interface brings this more in line with the OP. The main difference being that pages need to push media items on to a playback stack/timeline so it is clear to which media any hardware/software media controls should be currently applied.

The page would receive standard playback events on the media element being manipulated by the media controls (e.g. ‘playing’, ‘pause’, ‘ended’, etc). That would require less work on the part of web developers to integrate media control usage in to their web pages.

I think you are right RE: not basing a solution only on HTMLMediaElement. But then I’m not sure that excludes the idea of establishing an ordered, sequential list of playback items. Having a queued media model seems to fit the modality of using media controls very well.

mounir
2015-01-08

The proposal I made has a static instance instead of requestMediaController.

richt
2015-01-16

I wrote up some notes on potential scoping, lifecycle and event handling issues for web-based Media Focus and Control at https://gist.github.com/richtr/2235fdae25c74186297d. I’d appreciate some review and feedback on this thread.

There are a number of open questions around the scope of media output that media keys should relate to. Should media focus be concerned with media output at the tab/document/origin/element level? How should media focus be delegated between requestors? Should scope-related media output be forcibly muted/paused/stopped when media focus is lost to ensure a good user experience?

There may also be incompatibilities between API proposals on this thread and native media focus models. e.g. In iOS media focus and remote control media keys can only be grabbed when media playback has been started.

Finally, I think the lifecycle of media focus (e.g. requesting/granting/revoking/regaining/transferring focus between scopes) is something we should commit to paper before designing an API.

Looking forward to your feedback.

richt
2015-01-23

Philip Jägenstedt and I discussed this topic at length. I have put up our current thoughts on Github @ [HTMLMEDIAFOCUS]. This link includes our initial set of use cases, a design Q&A, an initial proposal and a simple web-based prototype of the initial proposal.

This proposal mandates tighter integration with HTML media than other proposals on this thread. This tighter integration allows us to directly reflect current media state between HTML media and any connected media control interfaces. It makes media control work across platforms (particularly within the iOS model where media key capture is only possible when media content is currently being played). It also avoids the indirection required in other proposals on this thread where web developers are required to implement media state matching themselves between their in-page media and a separate Media Controls API.

Please consider filing any issues you may have against the Github project.

marcosc
2015-02-03

So, I’ve been reading over all the proposals and I’m also landing at a similar place as @richt and Philip Jägenstedt.

IMHO, the most sensible thing seems to be amending <audio> and <video> to be remote-controlled (through an attribute). This gets rid of a whole bunch of unnecessary API surface, while allowing reuse of existing HTML MediaController machinery. It also allows much easier targeting of (mostly HTML-predefined) events directly on the elements being remote controlled - rather than through an intermediate MediaController instance.

The invariants here are:

1. Not all media is created equal: only certain media elements need to be designated as capable of receiving media-key-related events. In Chrome on iOS, this already happens automatically even without the need of any special attribute - what is not clear to me yet is how next/prev will work, specially as it assumes a fully active web document running in the background capable of receiving these events.
  2. Media should be able to receive the events, and the UA can send their streams to be “remote controlled” by the underlying OS (as per IOs - both Safari and Chrome already do this, btw). Registering a media controller without actual media seems like a bad disconnect - which would be possible with .requestMediaController() - events could be routed nowhere (yes, this is also true with a video without a src, or a bad src, but it’s easier to deal with that at the UA level).
  3. Stack order or the focus media player can be handled by the UA (also as per Boris Smus’ proposal).
  4. Web Audio’s busted API needs to be fixed to work with Audio elements - we’ve been saying that for years now. Let’s deal with that later - it’s not the 90% use case.
  5. Reusing poster and title as metadata seems sensible - though we might need to make some additional enhancements in the future.
  6. As shown already in iOS (Chrome and Safari), it’s not necessary to have a door-hanger for “Allow foo.com to receive media key events?”.

Given that we have a pretty clear understanding of the use cases, I would suggest we consider starting with the existing HTML elements first. If that doesn’t work, we can look at adding a new API.

philipj
2015-02-03

This is interesting. If I pause app A and then switch to app B which has previously played, it makes sense for B to start playing when the hardware play/pause key is pressed. This could be done entirely automatic on a per-tab level I think, but for multiple widgets within a page it seems tricky to have a corresponding concept.

philipj
2015-02-03

Do you think that https://github.com/richtr/html-media-focus/blob/gh-pages/USECASES.md is exactly the set of problems worth solving? Notably, it doesn’t say anything about previous/next keys or custom notification / lock screen UI.

Other than use cases there are a few technical decisions which would impact the design. I think these are at least:

• Must audio playback begin before one can get audio focus? (I think yes.)
  • Should a user of the Web Audio API be able to use this? (I think yes.)
  • Should pausing/muting be enforced if the page doesn’t do the right thing? (I’m skeptical.)
  • What is the lifetime of the audio focus? If it is tied to a media element one cannot implement a playlist using multiple media elements, at least not without a way to hand over the focus. (Simply getting focus anew means that there will be at least milliseconds where the keys would do nothing, making e.g. the pause and next keys seem glitchy in the transition between tracks.)
  • Should existing pages that don’t use the new API react at all to media keys? (I think yes, good enough defaults will allow it to just work in 90% of cases.)