A partial archive of discourse.wicg.io as of Saturday February 24, 2024.

Input type=token

dontcallmedom
2015-08-21

Mobile browsers use autocorrection and autocapitalization on input elements of type “text”; that’s OK in some cases, but really annoying in others. They can be disabled with (so far proprietary) attributes autocorrect and autocapitalize.

Should these attributes be standardized? Should we have a specific input type for text input that is specifically not meant to be capitalized and auto-corrected (e.g. login names)? like <input type=token>?

jonathank
2015-08-22

I would argue that a specific input type won’t scale somewhat and more attributes / standardised ones would be better.

I would also like to point out for anything like login credentials the Credentials Management API will hopefully solve us caring about this in the long run :smiley:

simevidas
2015-08-24

There’s also autocomplete and spellcheck.

npdoty
2015-08-26

Attributes seem to make sense here, as site authors might want this to apply to multiple input types or elements, like textareas or contenteditable fields or the like.

jonathank
2015-08-26

Don’t start me on my usual office rant about the standardisation between these attributes :smile:

cvrebert
2015-08-29

This is already some progress on that front:

stuartpb
2015-09-14

I wouldn’t mind an input attribute that just across-the-board states “all special behaviors that manipulate the value of this field to be something other than the exact character sequence entered by the user should be inhibited”.